Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Doctor Who: Shroud of Sorrow

I'm sorry this is an irregular thing, and frankly it shouldn't be. But let's not worry about that. Let's look at what I'm talking about this time.


Now for the first part of this discussion, let's talk about my general interest in Doctor Who. I like to think of myself as a fan making his way up the ranks. Meaning I like the show, a whole bunch. I've developed favorite Doctors and roughly forty-two DVDs of the classic series. I watch the new series and I enjoy it.

So where to start when talking about Doctor Who? As some random fan of the show and since I don't have a working knowledge of  all of Gallifrey, so how do I go about talking about this thing that I love. Well, how about as a laymen. Another series that I am working on transfering over to this blog, called Amazing Reads, does essentially the same for Spider-Man, just more chronologically.

But enough about that, Shroud of Sorrow. As far as my limited research, (quick google dig around) author Tommy Donbavand is new to the world of Doctor Who (convenient huh?). He is known for children's books such as Scream Street, and other horror books for kids. Mostly Horror Comedy to be precise. So what does he bring to the table with Shroud of Sorrow? Perhaps the strangest, stealthiest 50th anniversary tie-in to Doctor Who.

There is one reason I say that. Well one before the spoiler tag down below. That is, the story takes place the day after the John F. Kennedy Assassination. Why is that important? Well because that is when Doctor Who, "An Unearthly Child" premiered. This story takes place on that day, and depending on how you look at the chronology of Doctor Who itself, at that time in Great Britain an Old Man is kidnapping two teachers for the ride of their lives.

Back to the book, the concept is straight forward, the world is in mourning, Kennedy was killed and all is not well. People are seeing the dead in stains, and fog, and raindrops on a window pane. (Or first reference to the series past is a totally unrelated pointless bit at the very stop of a policeman on Totters Lane seeing his father.)

The Doctor and Clara Oswald (In her first novel) arrive at Parkland Hospital in Dallas. And they encounter The Shroud, a creature that seems to be feeding off their grief.

But what do I think of the book? It's alright. Not bad, not great. I was compelled and enjoyed reading it, I didn't feel as if I wasted my money buying it, and it's nice to have this little bit of story. But for one thing, which makes this a story that I feel is a must get, which I'll talk about in the spoiler section.

***SPOILER***


You've been warned.

The climax of the book revolves around exploring the Doctor's grief. It manifests early on when the face of Astrid appears to him. Astrid being the companion who appeared in Voyage of the Damned, and gave her life to save the ship.

By the end of the book we flash through all eleven doctors, seeing perhaps their saddest moments, the moments that fill them with the most grief. William Hartnell's Doctor leaving behind his Grand daughter Susan. Patrick Troughton leaving behind Jamie and Zoe, knowing he is going off to his own death. Peter Davison's Doctor unable to save Adric, and even David Tennent failing to save Astrid.

This is all leads up to one of the more heart wrenching scenes in the book. The funeral of Brigadier Sir Alistair Gordon Lethbridge-Stewart.(Mouthful I know) For those who don't know, The Brigadier is one of the few to see more than one incarnation of the Doctor, and certainly the one who ever saw the most incarnations. He is apart of Doctor Who, he was and ever shall be. In that scene we see the Doctors around the grave, giving their farewells to the man.

And that comes to my final plea. Even though Nicholas Courtney has passed, The Brigadier can live on in these novels. There is no reason why the Ninth, Tenth, Eleventh, or even Twelfth Doctors can not meet the Brigadier, to encounter him in his past, before he passed. It is not disrespect to do this, but Honor. Because there are many Doctors, but only one Brigadier.

No comments:

Post a Comment